JentrifiedC– Agree with Singaporearmchaircritic, our government needs to take on a bigger role and spend more on healthcare to lighten the people’s burden.
In his 2013 Budget announcement earlier this year, Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said the government would look into lowering Singaporeans’ out-of-pocket health spending.
On Sunday evening, we learned more about how this may be achieved through Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s 2013 National Day Rally (NDR) speech. In summary, these are the tweaks to healthcare financing Singaporeans can expect in future:
- Medisave usage will be expanded to more medical conditions;
- Medishield coverage, renamed Medishield Life, will extend to those above 90 and will be universal. It will be expanded to include those with pre-existing illnesses;
- There is no opting out of Medishield Life and premiums will be higher;
- A “Pioneer Generation Package” will be introduced to help elderly Singaporeans in their late 60s and above pay for their premiums under Medishield Life;
- Medisave contribution rate will increase;
- State spending on healthcare will increase;
- The Community Health Assist Scheme will…
View original post 608 more words